Help with your energy bills

Skip to contents of guide

If you pay for your energy as part of your rent or fee

Your landlord may charge an all-inclusive amount, which includes a fixed cost for your energy usage.

If your landlord gets support from the Energy Bills Discount Scheme (EBDS), they should pass on a discount in the all-inclusive amount.

The Energy Bills Discount Scheme runs until 31 March 2024.

Getting a fair discount

Landlords should give you a fair and reasonable amount from their EBDS support and must not make a profit.

This is called the ‘pass-through requirement’ for energy price support.

If you live in a park, mobile or care home your property manager or landlord must also pass on the benefit in a fair way in your all-inclusive fee.

They should do this as soon as they can. You should not need to do anything to get this support.

Your landlord must tell you in writing within 30 days of getting the support:

  • how much you will get and why
  • what you can do if you disagree

If your landlord does not pass on the discount or you disagree

If you do not agree with the support they have passed to you, write to your landlord. You can read more about pass-through requirements and what landlords must do, including template letters you can use.

If you’re still not happy, you can make a claim for money against them at a county court.