You might be overpaid tax credits if: 

HMRC will write to tell you what you owe and how to repay the money. Call HMRC if you:

  • think they made a mistake

  • want to know how they calculated your overpayment

If you still get tax credits or are now getting Universal Credit, the money you owe will usually be taken from your future payments.

If you no longer get tax credits and have not made a claim for Universal Credit, you’ll have to pay HMRC directly. The money may be recovered from you in another way if you do not repay HMRC in time.