Report abuse of an older person

Examples of abuse include:

  • not caring for someone properly (neglect)
  • pressuring someone to give away money or property
  • psychological (for example threats, harassment or forcing someone to live somewhere they do not want to)
  • physical (for example violence)
  • sexual

Reporting abuse

Call 999 if you are reporting a crime that is in progress or if someone is in immediate danger.

Contact the local police if you think a crime has been committed or contact the local council if you think someone is at risk or is being abused.

Care homes and home carers

Contact the local council if you’re concerned about:

  • someone not being treated properly in a care home
  • someone being mistreated by a carer

NHS hospital or clinic care

Contact the manager of the hospital or clinic if you’re worried about someone.

Help and advice

If you want to discuss your concerns and get some advice, contact Hourglass (Safer Ageing).

Hourglass (Safer Ageing) helpline
Telephone: 0808 808 8141
Find out about call charges