You need to pay back:

  • Tuition Fee Loans
  • Maintenance Loans
  • Postgraduate Loans

You do not need to pay back other student finance, for example grants and bursaries. You will have to repay any overpayments if you receive more of any type of student finance than you’re entitled to.

You still have to repay your student loan if you leave your course early.

This guide is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).

When you start repaying your loan and how much you pay depends on which repayment plan you’re on.

Keep your contact details up to date in your online account so that you can get messages about your loan.

How to repay

How you repay your loan depends on whether you’re employed or self-employed.

You can make extra repayments in your online account and by card, bank transfer or cheque.

Keep your payslips and your P60 for your records - you’ll need them if you want to get a refund.

If you leave the UK for more than 3 months

You must update your employment details to let the Student Loans Company (SLC) know you have left the UK. 

You will need to continue to repay your loan unless you provide evidence that your income is below the threshold.

You could build up arrears if you do not update your details. You’ll have to repay these even if your income is below the threshold for your repayment plan.

Sign in

Sign in to your online account if you already have one.