You can apply to be a guardian and manage the finances or property of someone who:

  • is missing
  • is in prison abroad and cannot communicate
  • has been taken hostage or kidnapped

The person must be missing from home and their usual activities.

One of the following must also apply:

  • you do not know where they are
  • they cannot contact you to let you know their decisions

You must apply to the High Court for a guardianship order.

You can apply when the person has been missing for the previous 90 days. You can apply earlier if it’s urgent, for example the person’s house is being repossessed.

The Office of the Public Guardian will supervise you while you are acting as a guardian. You’ll need to keep records of the activities you carry out and decisions you make.

You must send reports to the Office of the Public Guardian when they ask you for them. They will tell you when it’s time to send your report.

The Office of the Public Guardian might visit you.