Help if you have a disabled child

Skip to contents of guide


Your local council can provide help if you have a disabled child, including:

  • short break services
  • holiday play schemes
  • care at home
  • some aids and adaptations
  • financial help, for example money towards travel costs for hospital visits

Your council has a duty to provide these services under the Children Act 1989. Some are free of charge - the council might ask you to contribute towards others.

If you think your child may qualify, contact the social services team at your local council.

A social worker will then talk to you about the needs of your family, including:

  • health
  • social care
  • education

This is called a ‘needs assessment’ - the social worker will give you advice on what to do next.

You can also ask your council about local support groups for carers and families with disabled children.

Help with costs

If your child qualifies for services from your local council, you’ll also have the option of getting direct payments.

These are paid directly to you so you can arrange services you need. They’re an alternative to social care services provided by your local council.

You may also be eligible for extra Child Tax Credit for each disabled child you’re responsible for or Disability Living Allowance for children.

Help if you’re on a low income

You may be able to get a Family Fund grant if you’re raising a disabled or seriously ill child or young person. This can help pay for things like:

  • furniture and household products
  • clothing and toys
  • family breaks and days out

Family Fund will assess your finances to see if you’re eligible.

You can find more information about grants on the Family Fund website.

You can also contact:

Family Fund
Telephone: 01904 550055
Monday to Friday, 9:30am to 5pm
Find out about call charges