Get a National Insurance contributions statement if you live abroad

Ask HMRC for a paper statement of your National Insurance contributions, or apply for a PDU1 certificate, using form CA3916.

You can use this form to:

  • ask for a paper statement of your National Insurance contributions for your information only
  • apply for a PDU1 certificate to support a benefit claim in:
    • the EU
    • Norway
    • Iceland
    • Switzerland
    • Liechtenstein

Before you start

You will need to know the:

  • dates you were resident in the UK
  • dates of any periods of UK self-employment in the last 3 years
  • details of any periods of UK employment in the last 3 years, including:
    • your employer’s addresses
    • the dates when you were employed
    • the date of your last period of Job Seeker’s Allowance between your last period of work and now (if applicable)

If you’re requesting a PDU1 certificate, you’ll be asked:

  • for evidence of your earnings from your most recent job (for example, a final payslip or P60 form)
  • for a document showing the reason you left your previous employment (for example, a letter terminating your contract)
  • additional questions about your nationality

Submit the form online

You’ll need to sign in with your Government Gateway user ID and password.

If you do not have a user ID, you can create one when you first try to sign in. If you do not have a UK postcode, you will need to know your National Insurance number to sign in for the first time.

You will be given a unique reference number when you submit the form. You can use this to check the progress of your request.

Start now

Send us the form by post

  1. Get all of your information together before you start. You will fill this form in online and you cannot save your progress.

  2. Fill in form CA3916.

  3. Print and post it to HMRC (alongside any supporting evidence), using the postal address given at the end of the form.

This file may not be suitable if you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader). If you need a more accessible format, email and tell us what format you need. It will help if you tell us what assistive technology you use. Read the accessibility statement for HMRC forms.

Published 2 June 2014