Going to court to give evidence as a victim or witness

Skip to contents of guide

Your statement

If you’re a victim or prosecution witness, you can ask the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) to see your statement again before you go to court to refresh your memory.

You can add things to your statement if you remember them later on, but you cannot withdraw it.

You’re a victim of crime

As well as the statement you gave the police when you reported the crime, you can also make a ‘victim personal statement’ (sometimes known as an ‘impact statement’). This can be read out in court.

You can include information about how the crime has affected you:

  • physically
  • mentally
  • emotionally
  • financially

You can also mention any worries you have about the defendant being released on bail.

When you give your victim personal statement to the police, tell them if you’d prefer to read it out in court yourself, or have someone else to do it for you.

The court will decide if your statement will be read out in part or in full.