Going to court to give evidence as a victim or witness

Skip to contents of guide

Expenses for going to court

You can ask for expenses when you go to court as a:

  • prosecution witness - from the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS)
  • defence witness - from the defence lawyer

Your employer does not have to pay you for your time off work.

Ask the Citizens Advice Witness Service for help with claiming expenses.

Prosecution witnesses

You can claim for expenses from the CPS. They’ll pay for things like:

  • travelling expenses - the standard or 2nd class fare, or 25p per mile if you drive
  • meals and refreshments - £2.25 for up to 5 hours, or £4.50 for 5 to 10 hours
  • loss of earnings - £33.50 for up to 4 hours, or £67 for longer (£42.95 or £85.90 if you’re self-employed)
  • childcare - up to £67 per day

If you’re not sent an expenses form before the trial, ask for one from a court usher or someone from the Citizens Advice Witness Service.

Defence witnesses

If the court usher does not give you an expenses form, ask the court or the defence lawyer if you’re able to claim expenses for your time in court.