Get court funds money when you recover mental capacity

You’ll be able to access the money in your court funds account if the Court of Protection decide that you’ve fully recovered your mental capacity and can manage your finances.

One of the following will happen:

  • a court order and a payment direction will be sent to the Court Funds Office and the money will be transferred to your bank account within 5 working days
  • you’ll be told that you need to apply in writing for the money

If you’re told to apply in writing

Send the following:

If you want the money paid into someone else’s bank account you’ll need to confirm their details. Send a copy of a bank statement or letter from their bank dated within the last 3 months.

Send the completed form and documents to:

Court Funds Office
SR43 3AB

Investments in your Court Funds Office account

Use the sale or transfer of securities form (CFO SST1) to tell the Court Funds Office what to do with any investments that they hold on your behalf.

The transfer of investments, or money from their sale, may take longer than 5 working days.

What happens next

Once the money has been transferred, your account will be closed.

You’ll receive a statement from the Court Funds Office confirming details of all final payments, usually within 5 days of your account closing.