Tell Companies House about changes to your limited company

You must tell Companies House about changes to your limited company, including:

  • directors and company secretaries, for example new appointments, resignations or changes to their personal details
  • changing your company name
  • changing your registered office address
  • changing your accounting reference date
  • changes to your ‘people with significant control’ (PSC) information
  • changes to your company’s share structure, for example if you issue new shares
  • details of any new mortgages it has or mortgages it has paid off

Some changes may need you to pass a resolution.

You may also need to tell HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

This guide is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).

Start now

Before you start

You’ll need the:

  • email address and password you used to sign up for the Companies House online service
  • authentication code Companies House sent you

If you have not used the service before

You can register online. You’ll need to give your email address and create a password, then Companies House will post an authentication code to your registered office address.

When the changes take effect

Your address will not officially change until Companies House has registered it.

Your company name will change when you register it. Companies House will send you a certificate with your new company name and the date of the registration.

Other ways to apply

You can use filing software if you have many changes to report.

You can also file changes by post - find the form you need and send it to the address on the form.