Driving a minibus

You might be able to drive a minibus if you hold a car driving licence and meet certain conditions - otherwise you’ll need to apply for a minibus licence.

View your driving licence information to see what vehicles you can drive.

This content is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).

If the minibus is not for ‘hire or reward’

You might be able to drive a minibus with up to 16 passenger seats using your current car driving licence as long as there’s no payment from or on behalf of the passengers (it’s not for ‘hire or reward’).

Conditions you must meet

You can drive a minibus within the UK as long as the following conditions apply:

  • you’re 21 or older
  • you’ve had your driving licence for at least 2 years
  • you meet the ‘Group 2’ medical standards if you’re over 70 - check with your GP if you’re not sure you meet the standards
  • you’re driving on a voluntary basis and the minibus is used for social purposes by a non-commercial body
  • the ‘maximum authorised mass’ or MAM of the minibus is not more than 3.5 tonnes – plus up to 750kg of equipment for disabled passengers, for example a wheelchair ramp
  • you’re not towing a trailer

Driving a minibus abroad

You might be able to drive a minibus abroad. Contact the licensing authority in the country you’re visiting for more information.

Renew your driving licence if you’re 70 or over

If you’re 70 or over (or soon will be) and are renewing your driving licence, you need to:

You should send both forms to the address in section F of the D2.

If you got your driving licence after 1 January 1997, you’ll need to apply for a minibus licence.

Minibus permit - if you need to charge running costs

You can apply for a minibus permit if you need to charge passengers, as long as:

  • the vehicle can carry between 9 and 16 passengers
  • you’re driving it for a voluntary organisation that benefits the community - for example an educational, religious or sports organisation
  • the minibus service is only available for members of that organisation - not to the general public
  • any charges are to cover running costs and are not for profit

You can apply for a minibus permit from the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA).

The driver must be 21 or older.

Driving a minibus for profit

If you want to drive a minibus commercially, or if the above conditions don’t apply, you’ll need to apply for both a: