Claim a deputyship fee refund

Skip to contents of guide

What you'll need to claim

To claim, you’ll need details of the person who had a deputy (the ‘client’). This includes their:

  • name
  • date of birth
  • address when the deputyship ended
  • date of death (if relevant)

You’ll also need to provide details of the bank account you’d like the refund to be paid in to (if you do not want to be refunded by cheque).

Documents you’ll need to provide

You’ll need to send proof of your:

  • name
  • address
  • right to apply (if you’re not the client)

You can send scanned and photocopied documents.

You can also send original documents. They will be returned to you by post.

You need to send a different piece of evidence for each type of proof.

Proof of your name

This can be:

  • current signed passport (copy of the page showing your name and photograph)
  • original birth or adoption certificate
  • current UK or EEA photocard driver’s licence (not provisional licence)
  • full old-style driving licence
  • EEA member state identity card or national identity photo card
  • benefit book or original notification letter from the benefits agency

Proof of your address

This can be:

  • utility bill (not a mobile phone bill) from the last 12 months
  • current council tax bill
  • bank, building society or credit union statement or passbook dated within the last 3 months
  • original mortgage statement issued for the last full year
  • council or housing association or rent card or tenancy agreement for the current year

Proof of your right to apply

Include a copy of:

  • grant of probate (executors)
  • letters of administration (administrators)
  • death certificate (family members)

If you’re a property and financial affairs attorney, you’ll need to provide the lasting power of attorney reference number.