Living costs: bills, housing and health

Find out what support is available to help with bills and costs in England. This includes support with utility bills, support from your local council and Council Tax Reduction.

Support with utility bills

Help with energy bills

Find out what help you can get with energy bills, including the Energy Price Guarantee and support if you use alternative fuels.

Find out help you can get from your local council (Household Support Fund)

Find out about help you can get with essential costs. This includes food, energy and water bills.

Cheaper phone and broadband (‘social tariffs’)

If you’re getting certain benefits find out if you can get cheaper phone and broadband on the Ofcom website.

Help paying your water bill

Find out how to reduce your water bill and support you may be able to get to pay for it on the CCW website.

Support with housing costs

Council Tax Reduction

If you’re on a low income or certain benefits you can check if you’re eligible to reduce your Council Tax.

Help paying rent (Discretionary Housing Payments)

If you need support with rent or housing costs you can check if you’re eligible for a Discretionary Housing Payment from your local council.

Housing cost help with Universal Credit

If you’re eligible for Universal Credit you can get help paying for housing (for example, rent and mortgage interest). Find out more about housing costs and Universal Credit.

Housing Benefit

If you’re in supported, sheltered or temporary housing you can check if you’re eligible for Housing Benefit for help to pay your rent.

Other help you can get

Get help with NHS prescriptions and health costs

Answer a few questions to find out what help you can get to pay for health costs such as prescriptions, eye and dental care.

If you get Universal Credit or Jobseeker’s Allowance

Check if you’re eligible for a Jobcentre Plus Travel Discount Card on the National Rail website. This gives a discount on some rail tickets.