You might be able to claim compensation if you were the victim of a violent crime. This includes if:

  • you were injured
  • a close relative died
  • you saw the crime happen to a loved one (or were there immediately afterwards)
  • you paid for the funeral of a person who died

You usually have to claim within 2 years of the crime. The crime must be reported to the police before you apply.

It does not cost anything to apply.

If you were injured trying to stop a crime

You might also be able to claim compensation if you were taking a ‘justified and exceptional’ risk trying to stop a crime. For example somebody was in danger and it was not a situation that you were trained to deal with.

Get practical and emotional support

Find support services that can help if you’ve been:

You can also get help and advice from your trade union.