Child Benefit complaints

Contact the Child Benefit Office if you want to complain about the service you’ve received, mistakes they’ve made or unreasonable delays.

This guide is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).

How to complain

You can:

  • complain online using your Government Gateway user ID and password - if you do not have a user ID, you can create one when you complain
  • call or write to the Child Benefit Office - telephone complaints are usually dealt with faster

If you write, include:

  • your National Insurance number
  • your full name, address and telephone number
  • details of what happened and when
  • any reference numbers you’ve been given
  • how you’d like your complaint settled
  • the word ‘complaint’ at the top of your letter

The Child Benefit Office will usually respond within 15 working days.

If you’re unhappy with the response

Ask the Child Benefit Office to review their response - their letter will tell you how.

If you’re unhappy with the final decision, you can contact the Independent Adjudicator.

You can also contact your MP and ask them to send your complaint to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman.

You may be able to claim reasonable costs (for example, for postage or phone calls) if the Child Benefit Office admits they made a mistake - ask them for details.