Check if a vehicle is taxed

Find out if a vehicle has up-to-date vehicle tax or has been registered as off the road (SORN).

If you’ve applied for vehicle tax or a SORN, it can take up to 2 working days for the records to update once your application has been approved.

You’ll need the vehicle’s registration number (number plate).

This service is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).

Start now

Before you start

You can also use this service to check the current tax rates for your vehicle. You’ll need the 11-digit reference number from your vehicle log book (V5C).

Use ‘askMID’ to check if your vehicle is insured.